Friday, April 2, 2010

Surely He did!

Isaiah 53:4-6

Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted.

But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the
punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Its amazing how Isaiah wrote this more than 700 years before Christ and yet it describes him to a t. Likewise Psalm 22 prophesies the suffering of Christ:

16 Packs of dogs close me in,and gangs of evildoers circle around me; *they
pierce my hands and my feet; I can count all my bones.
17 They stare and
gloat over me; *they divide my garments among them; they cast lots for my
clothing.
Yet even in the midst of such suffering we should be reminded of Christ's words to his disciples and to us:

I am the good shepherd.. and I lay down my life for the sheep….. The
reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my own life—only to take it up
again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.

I have authority to lay it down, and authority to take it up again.”
“I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of the world is coming.
He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I
do exactly what my Father has commanded me.”

(Jn 14:30-31)

Enjoy your Good Friday with the shepard who lay down his life to grant you an eternal one!

No comments:

Post a Comment