Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Sinful, sighing to be blest..."

“God be merciful to me a sinner.” Luke 18:13

Today is the first Sunday of Lent and I've noticed from the readings that it starts out with the temptation of Christ as he fasts in the desert. As my father, Rev. Kingsley Jon-Ubabuco preached this morning - Satan "tempts" us to sin, whereas God tempts us to triumph.

First and formost though, we have to recognize who we are in order to see how God can help us. In Lent we spend time discovering who God is and who we are. As it says in the verse above, we are sinners.
My father mentioned the fact that nowhere in Tiger Wood's recent apology did he mention the fact that he has sinned against God. Naturally - Buddhism is atheistic in nature and it wouldn't have appeared. Yet the reality of sin is that first and foremost, it is an action against God, then ourselves and others.

So this week I am posting the collect of the week to the right and a hymn by Rev. J.S.B. Monsell - it touched me profoundly just to read these simple words, and I hope it blesses you as well.


Sinful,
sighing to be blest,
Bound,
and longing to be free;
Weary,
waiting for my rest:
God,
be merciful to me.

Holiness I’ve none to plead,
Sinfulness is all I see,
I can only bring my need:
God, be merciful to me.

Broken heart and downcast eyes,
Dare not lift themselves to Thee;
Yet Thou canst interpret sighs:
God, be merciful to me.

From this sinful heart of mine
To Thy bosom I would flee;
I am not mine own, but Thine:
God, be merciful to me.

There is One beside Thy throne,
And my only hope and plea
Are in Him and Him alone:
God, be merciful to me.

He my cause will undertake,
My Interpreter will be;
He’s my all, and for His sake,
God, be merciful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment